Friday, January 6, 2017

Ask Linda #1454-Place mark on ground to indicate line of play

Hello, Linda.
Thanks for all your help in the past and now I'm back asking for more.
Lately, I've been using something on the ground as a guide while lining up a shot. When nothing is available, I grab a leaf or twig, place it in front of my ball, and use that as a guide.
Is that legal?
Does the same rule apply if I do it on the teeing area before my ball is in play?
Thanks,
Lou from Ontario

Dear Lou,

No. It is not legal anywhere on the course. You may place something on the ground to help line up the shot, but you must remove it before you make your stroke [Rule 8-2a]. The penalty is two strokes in stroke play, loss of hole in match play.

On the putting green, you are not permitted to place a mark at all [Rule 8-2b]. The penalty is the same – two strokes in stroke play, loss of hole in match play.

Linda
Copyright © 2017 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.