Thursday, August 30, 2018

Ask Linda #1792-Hole putt while flagstick in hole

Linda… Earlier this week I was playing a round of golf with a friend. I was on the green about 40 feet from the cup and he was having trouble in some deep grass. We were holding up the group behind us so I decided to putt at an unattended flagstick, knowing the odds of my hitting the pin were slim.  As luck would have it I hit a great putt that was tracking right at the hole. It appeared the ball stopped just on the lip of the cup but then as I was walking toward the hole it fell in. The bottom line is I holed a putt to an unattended flagstick, but I honestly do not think the ball actually hit the pin. Is this still a penalty?
Thanks,
Lou from Texas

Dear Lou,

I’m afraid so, Lou. The penalty is two strokes in stroke play, loss of hole in match play. A ball is not holed until it is at rest in the hole [Definition of “Holed”]. It is not possible for a ball to come to rest in the hole without touching the flagstick [Decision 17-3/1].

Linda
Copyright © 2018 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.