Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Ask Linda #1785-Use club to estimate angle of shot

Dear Linda,
To choose the correct iron for a bunker shot, I sometimes step on the blade of my iron (and the shaft pops up) to estimate if that iron shot will carry the bunker lip or not. I do it outside the bunker, but my flight mates say I have incurred a penalty. I cannot see any reason why! If we can use measuring devices on the course, I see no reason why I cannot use a club to measure.

 Would appreciate the correct ruling on this issue.

Thank you so much.
Lou from Malaysia

Dear Lou,

This is a perfectly acceptable method to try to estimate how high the ball will rise related to the loft of a particular iron. I have on occasion used the same method when I punch out from under a tree. There is no Rule that I am aware of that prohibits this procedure.

This appears to be another case of a “hearsay” golf rule. Please ask your flight mates to show you the Rule that backs up their assertion. I believe they will be hard-pressed to find it.

Linda
Copyright © 2018 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.