Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Ask Linda #1636-Honor opponent’s request to leave ball on green

Linda,
I recently played in a member/guest tournament at a very nice TPC course. During one of my matches (better ball, match play), my ball was on the green and my opponent’s ball was in the rough just off of the green. As he was walking to his ball, I started to mark my ball on the green. My opponent requested that I not mark the ball. At first I thought he was joking, but my partner told me to leave it, as we were both unsure of the rule. I gladly left the ball there until he chipped onto the green and it wasn't a factor. My question is, do I have to comply with his request or can I mark my ball when I want to?
Thanks,
Lou from Delaware

Dear Lou,

The player is always entitled to mark and lift his ball on the green, regardless of what his opponent may request [Rule 16-1b]. Additionally, the player is permitted to lift his ball (or have any other ball lifted) if he feels it is in position to help another player, regardless of where the ball lies [Rule 22-1]. If the lifted ball is not on the green, it may not be cleaned.

I suspect that your opponent wanted you to leave the ball on the green because it was in a position to assist him (perhaps it was behind the hole and might serve as a backstop). If my suspicion is correct, there is all the more reason to lift the ball.  

I understand that your format was match play. If the competition had been stroke play, and the Committee learned that two players had agreed to leave a ball in place that might assist one of them, both players would be disqualified [Rule 22-1].

Linda
Copyright © 2017 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.