Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Ask Linda #1652-Ball assists play in another group

Hi Linda,
Today I was playing in a Stroke Play Tournament and on our course the Ninth Hole is below the tenth teeing area. As I was teeing off I looked down on to the Ninth Green and the four players playing behind my four were approaching the green. Two of the four had played up to the pin and were sitting just past the hole to the left and right of the centre of the pin. The third player was just off the green and playing toward the pin.

Before he played a stroke, I called out from the tee and asked him politely to mark both balls before he played his stroke. He replied that I should mind my own business and that only the players in his four could have the balls marked. I reported this to the committee at the completion of the round and they agreed with the player.

Was I entitled to have the balls marked even though I was not part of that four?
Kind Regards,
Lou from New Zealand

Dear Lou,
Rule 22-1 is clear on this matter. It states that “if a player considers that a ball might assist any other player, he may…have any other ball lifted.” It does not say “if a player in your group.” Any player anywhere on the course has the obligation to report any Rules’ violations he witnesses; it is every player's responsibility to protect the field. Good etiquette (which you practiced) suggests that you warn a player who is about to breach a Rule.

The Committee should have interviewed the players to learn whether they agreed not to lift those two balls in order to assist the player who was chipping onto the putting green. If that were the case, they would all be disqualified. Since you warned the players before any action was taken, they had ample opportunity to mark their balls, thereby complying with 22-1 and taking disqualification off the table.

Linda
Copyright © 2017 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.