Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Ask Linda #1561-Opponent refuses to lift ball that interferes

Linda,
I played a match today and both my opponent and I ended up just off the green. His ball was on my line to the hole and which I wanted to putt. I asked him to mark his ball and he refused, the result being I had to chip over his ball.
Was he correct in refusing my request?
Lou from Bridgend, Wales, GB  

Dear Lou,

Absolutely not.

Rule 22-2 requires a player to lift a ball if he is requested to do so because it interferes with another player's shot. You should have filed a claim. Your opponent would have lost the hole for failing to honor your legitimate request [Decision 2/3].

Please remember to carry a rulebook so that you can settle simple matters like this on the spot.

Linda
Copyright © 2017 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.