Friday, October 21, 2016

Ask Linda #1406-Recording 18-hole score on 9-hole course

Hi Linda,
Just found your blog and I have a question.

I played in an 18-hole competition –played on a 9-hole course– with a shotgun start. I started on the 2nd hole.

When we played the 10th hole the guy marking my card insisted that the card be marked for the 1st. Then when we played the 11th hole he marked it for the 11th, and then when we played our last hole he marked it as the 10th.

I said that I thought that the holes should be marked consecutively so the 10th followed the 9th, etc., and that the fact we were playing on a 9-hole course was irrelevant as we were playing an 18-hole competition.
I thought that Rule 1-1 and Decision 1-1/1 were in force.
Was I correct?

I look forward to your reply.
Lou from France 

Dear Lou,

Holes in a stipulated round must be played in the correct order [Definition of “Stipulated Round”]. All holes are played in sequence. If you begin play on Hole #2 on a 9-hole course, when you finish #9 and proceed to play #1 for the first time, it is actually the first hole you are playing on the back nine, which must be recorded in the box on the scorecard provided for Hole #10.

Since many players will find this confusing, the Committee should be very clear with instructions on how to mark the scorecard.

Linda
Copyright © 2016 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.

Here is an excellent explanation from a reader in India:

Dear Linda,
In most 9 hole courses, the second 9 is played from a different Tee Box which is slightly displaced from the first nine Tee Boxes. And each hole has an allotted Stroke Index from 1 to 18. So no matter which hole you start from, the holes are played in the correct order and score recorded accordingly. E.g., if one starts from Hole#5, the card is marked Hole # 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,1,2,3,4.
This is good irrespective of the format of play of a competition----Stableford, stroke play, against par and so on.
Hope I have made myself clear.
Regards and thanks
Lou from Pune, India