Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Ask Linda #1110-Ball hits partner’s club

Hi Linda,
I would first like to say thank you for the site, I find it really informative and helpful.

My situation:
Pairs match play:
I hit my ball from a greenside bunker. However it came off at an angle and hit my partner’s clubs lying off the green and normally out of the way.

1. We applied the rule that my ball was penalised, and so I picked up, and my partner continued.
2. Could you confirm if this was correct and or advise on the correct ruling?

Thanks,
Lou from Spain

Dear Lou,

Your procedure was correct. The penalty for hitting your partner’s equipment is one stroke, and you must play the ball as it lies [Rule 19-2]. The ruling is the same if your ball hits you, your partner, your caddie, or your own equipment.

Linda
Copyright © 2015 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.