Monday, June 25, 2018

Ask Linda #1764-DZ in GUR is closer to hole

Hi Linda,
I drove the T-shot for a par 4 hole and my ball went to the Point of A, which is in the big GUR.
There were 3 Dropping Zones in that GUR as in attached drawing. Then, I couldn't drop my ball in DZ 1 or DZ 2 as it would be nearer to the hole. (Is this correct?)
I didn't want to drop at DZ 3 as it would be further than my place of A and I couldn't get on in two. Therefore, I have asked to my partners whether I can drop at Point B, which was in the rough of right side of Fairway and not nearer to the hole.  If I can drop at Point B, I can get on in two and can get par easily.
Then, my partners did not allow me to drop at Point B as there were DZs and told me I should drop at DZ 3. 
Therefore, could you please answer with the related rules and what should be the correct decision, please?
Thanks in advanced for you kind help and answer.
Regards,
Lou from Yangon, Myanmar

Dear Lou,

When the course has provided Dropping Zones (DZ) for ground under repair, you may use them, regardless of whether they lie closer to the hole. The Local Rule that authorizes the DZs should state whether they are mandatory or optional, and may direct you to use the nearest DZ. Your diagram would seem to indicate the nearest DZ to be DZ 1. If the Local Rule does not specify which DZ to use, you may use any of them.

If the DZs are optional, the player may drop in a DZ, play the ball as it lies, or take the relief from ground under repair provided in Rule 25-1b. If you choose to take relief under Rule 25-1b, you must drop within one club-length of the nearest point of relief, not closer to the hole. Point B in your diagram does not meet that requirement; you may not drop at Point B. 

Linda

Copyright © 2018 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.