Monday, September 3, 2018

Ask Linda #1794-Advice before and after stroke

Hi Linda:
The other day, I was playing in a 3-day (once a week on three consecutive Tuesdays), stroke play tournament at my club. Without thinking, to say the least, I asked one of the women in my group, and she happens to be our club President, “do you think it would be better to hit my drive onto the ledge or just straight into the fairway?” Of course, she gave me a two-stroke penalty, which I deserved and accepted without any discourse and actually laughed at myself for being so ignorant as to have asked. Then, after I hit my drive and we went to hit our second shots, I asked her, “so, do people think the upper ridge is better for their drives, or down the fairway?” Yep…I got another two-stroke penalty. She said we were not finished playing the Tournament, even though it was the last and final day of the tournament and we were never going to be on that tee box again. But, again, I took the penalty and did so without complaining or any drama.
Now, however, and I'm only asking this for future tournaments as I am well aware that the tournament I am referring to is over and done…was she correct about the second two-stroke penalty? I am not sure if we had to have finished that hole before I could have asked her that question again, OR if the entire tournament, as she stated, had to be completed.
One of my “rules” ladies at my former club told me that one may ask a question of another player (competitor) even during a tournament round, IF the Hole has been completed, NOT the entire tournament. So, in other words, even if we had to play an entire fourth round, would I have been OK to ask my question after the Hole was finished or after the Entire Tournament was finished?
Thank you.
Lulu from Southern California

Dear Lulu,

If you were uncertain regarding the second penalty for asking advice after you hit your shot, you should have brought the matter to the attention of the Committee before you signed your card. You would have saved yourself two strokes.

The two-stroke penalty for requesting advice prior to hitting your shot was correct. After you hit your shot, there would be no penalty for repeating the question. Any information you receive after a shot cannot possibly help you decide how to play that shot, since that shot is now history [Definition of “Advice”]. There is no requirement that the hole be completed, only that the shot be completed by both players engaged in the conversation. For example, you may ask a fellow competitor what club she used to hit her tee shot right after you hit yours.

Linda
Copyright © 2018 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.