Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Ask Linda #1804-Refuse to lift ball that interferes with play

Linda,
Question---I am on the 18th green tied with my opponent for the lead and the win for the club championship, a very big deal. I am in a good position right directly in front of the hole. My opponent's ball with whom I am tied is behind mine. My opponent asks me to lift my ball and mark it. I say no. Of course, I want the opponent to hit my ball and get a 2-stroke penalty. My question is, is there a rule that requires me to lift and mark? Do I have the right to say no? I am aware that golf is a game of etiquette, but a win is a win and as I understand the rule I am not required to mark but my opponent must ask. What must I do?
Lulu from New Jersey

Dear Lulu,

Where did you find a Rule that says you are not required to mark and lift your ball when another player makes that request? Rule 22-2 states: "If a player considers that another ball might interfere with his play, he may have it lifted." If you refuse to lift your ball, you will be the player who is penalized. 

Linda
Copyright © 2018 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.

Lulu’s response:
Hi. I know that rule, it says MAY, not must.

And my answer:
Yes, the other player "may" ask. But if she does ask, you must lift your ball. You are not permitted to deny her request. She is entitled to have that ball lifted if she feels it interferes with her play. The penalty if you fail to comply with her request is loss of hole in match play, and disqualification in stroke play. Please read this Decision (match play):

2/3 

Refusal to Comply with Rule in Match Play
Q.In a match, A requests B to lift B's ball that is on A's line of play. B refuses to do so. What is the ruling?
A.In equity (Rule 1-4), B loses the hole for failing to comply with A's request to lift his ball under Rule 22-2.

and this Rule (stroke play):

3-4. Refusal to Comply with a Rule 

If a competitor refuses to comply with a Rule affecting the rights of another competitorhe is disqualified.