Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Ask Linda #1688-Ball buried in sand

Hi Linda,
Recently I was playing at Barnbougle Dunes in Tasmania. I hit my ball into the face of a bunker from about 160m out. Luckily I saw exactly where it pitched because when I got to the bunker the ball was nowhere to be seen. There was however an unusual mark in the sand in the exact position where I thought my ball had pitched. In order to identify my ball I literally had to dig it out of the sand as it was buried about 2 inches under the surface.

Whilst I know I am entitled to identify my ball, do I have to cover it in sand again and return it back to the same condition I found it, or can I simply place it back into the hole that I dug out in the process of identifying the ball?

Thanks so much for your fantastic blog.
Regards,
Lou from Melbourne, Australia 

Dear Lou,

You are permitted to touch and remove the sand in order to find and identify your ball. There is no penalty if you move the ball during this search. After you identify it, you must re-create the lie as best you can, replace the ball, and re-cover it with sand. You are entitled to leave a small part of the ball visible [Rule 12-1a].

Linda
Copyright © 2018 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.