Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Ask Linda 1985-Search time

Linda,
Does the spectator searching time, authorized by me, for my ball, count? (I asked the spectator to search for my ball before I arrived to the spot where I expected my ball to be.)
Thanks,
Lou from Norrköping, Sweden

Dear Lou,

No. 

The time spectators search for a ball does not count in the three-minute search time limit. The clock starts when the player or his caddie (or the player’s partner or the partner’s caddie) begins searching for the ball [Rule 18.2a(1)].

There is no problem if you ask someone else to start searching before you can get there. However, once you reach the area, you may not stand aside and delay the start of the clock while others search. Nor may you delay getting to the area to allow the spectators extra time to search. The clock will start when you reach the area where you will begin your search, or when you would have reached the area had you not delayed your arrival [Interpretation Lost/2].

Linda
Copyright © 2019 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.