Thursday, August 15, 2019

Ask Linda 1977-After drop, stance in penalty area

Hi Linda,
Drove my ball to the left into a red stake water hazard [penalty area].
I chose to take 2 club-length penalty drop. The drop area isn’t flat but slopes back to the hazard. When I drop, the ball rolls back and when the ball at rest my stance is stepping on the hazard. The ball didn’t roll out of the 2 club-length relief area. Being right-handed, my stance is touching the hazard line, or should I say stepping inside the hazard area.
Question is can I re-drop? Based on my knowledge, penalty drop doesn’t apply full relief, unlike free drop.

Please advise.

Best regards,
Lou from Malaysia

Dear Lou,

When you take lateral relief from a red-staked penalty area, and your dropped ball comes to rest in the relief area, your ball is in play. If your stance ends up in the penalty area, you will have to deal with that. Relief is provided for the ball only, not for your stance.

Linda
Copyright © 2019 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.