Thursday, August 1, 2019

Ask Linda 1967-Submit card with score lower than taken

Hi Linda,
We played our 3rd round of our PGA Senior Championship today and I recorded on the scorecard a 5 instead of a 6 on the 18th hole for the player I was marking. In the Recording tent he said he didn’t want to read through the scores and proceeded to sign his card and gave it to the official. It was my mistake but one that would have been rectified if we would have done the normal checking routine.
I realized this as I returned home after doing some thinking on the way because he happened to beat me by one stroke.
After I called the Recording office, the official told me that there was nothing he could do now. 
What is the correct procedure? Has he signed for a wrong score? Is there a time limit as to when you may query such a mistake?

Best regards,
Lou from Germany 

Dear Lou,

Rule 20.2e(2) makes it quite clear that “a player must be disqualified even after the competition is closed if he or she returned a score for any hole lower than actually taken for any reason other than failing to include one or more penalty strokes that, before the competition closed, the player did not know about.”

Unless there were penalty strokes the player knew nothing about, the Committee should disqualify the player. There is no time limit for such a disqualification.

Linda
Copyright © 2019 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.