Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Ask Linda #1825-Ask Linda #1823 revisited

Dear readers,

When I answered the reader’s question in #1823, I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that this reader meant that the ball hit towards the hazard might be lost outside the hazard. I have received several responses questioning whether the player was entitled to hit a provisional ball. I can see that it is necessary for me to expand my answer.

If the area around the hazard is such that the ball may be lost outside the hazard (e.g., obscured by tall grasses, fallen leaves, etc.), the player may hit another ball provisionally [Rule 27-2a]. This being the case, my original answer stands.

However, if the area around the hazard is closely mown and free of leaves or other debris, such that a ball not found would be certain to be in the hazard, the player is not entitled to hit a provisional. In this case, the ball that the player called “provisional” would actually be her ball in play. It would be her third stroke on the hole, and she would not be entitled to continue play with her original ball, even if it were found and playable [Decision 27-2a/2]. Her next stroke with the ball she mislabeled “provisional” would be her fourth shot on the hole.

Please read Decisions 27-2a/2, 27-2a/2.2, and 27-2a/2.5.

Linda
Copyright © 2018 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.