Thursday, January 21, 2016

Ask #1238 Linda-Continue with provisional without searching for original

Hi Linda,
In relation to playing a provisional ball:
On a Par-3, I hit my first ball over the green into a dense wooded area, so I play a provisional ball and it comes to rest by the flag. May I hole out for 4 and not look for my first ball?
Thanks,
Lulu from Ireland

Dear Lulu,

Yes. If you hit the provisional ball a second time from a point that is closer to the hole than where the original is likely to be, the original is “lost” and the score with the provisional counts [Rule 27-2b]. However, if someone finds your original before you hole the provisional, you must abandon the provisional and continue play with the original [Rule 27-2c].

Linda
Copyright © 2016 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.