Thursday, May 30, 2019

Ask Linda 1925-Relief from cart path

Linda,
While playing I took a drop from a cart path. I used my two club-lengths with my 8-iron, that I needed for that shot. I was told by my playing partner that it is a penalty because I did not use my driver. Is this true? 
Lou from Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Dear Lou,

No, Lou. That is not true, but your procedure was not correct either. When you have interference from an immovable obstruction (such as a cart path), you must first establish the nearest point of complete relief that is no closer to the hole. You do this by taking a stance and simulating a swing with the club you plan to use for your next shot (an 8-iron, in your case). Once you find this point (called a “reference point"), you will drop the ball in a relief area within one club-length of that point, no closer to the hole. One club-length is defined as the longest club in your bag (other than your putter), but you do not have to measure with that club. If you measure with a shorter club, and your dropped ball rolls beyond the length of that club but within the length of your longest club (had you used that club to measure), the drop is good and the ball is in play.

Linda
Copyright © 2019 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.