Friday, May 10, 2019

Ask Linda 1913-Two balls in motion collide

Hello Linda,
A lot of people in our golf club know that I am always studying the golf rules as much as possible. Some say I am exaggerating (which I firmly disagree), while others appreciate it a lot.

I recently bought the new edition Official Guide to the Rules of Golf and cannot find the item that I want to be cleared.

A friend of mine played match play (MP) with another lady. End this month we have our Belgian National Championship MP [match play].

One of them Mrs. C was in the deep bunker left of the green while the other one Mrs. J was in the deep bunker right of the green. Bunkers were so deep that C could not see J and J could not see C.

What happened: you’ll never believe it…. they both played their ball at the same time and balls met/touched each other up in the air.

Can you please tell me the ruling here… play your ball as it lies or???? In match play and stroke play please.

I am always so fascinated reading your answers, which I tell and explain to some of my good golf friends and they are now looking forward to hear your good news.

I tried to find the solution in the new edition but could not. I may have overlooked it?

I do hope my English is understandable???

A thousand thanks and hope reading you soonest.

Kindest regards from the Flemish part of Belgium.
Lulu from Belgium

Dear Lulu,

There is no penalty to either player and both balls must be played as they lie. Please read Rule 11.1a and 11.1b, keeping in mind that each player’s ball is an outside influence in relation to the other ball.

Linda
Copyright © 2019 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.