Thursday, May 2, 2019

Ask Linda 1907-Is use of DZ compulsory?

Hi Linda,
At our course we have two situations where roads cross the fairways and on both holes Drop Zones have been established due to some difficulty in certain areas to use the normal rules of golf. To explain further, on my round today I had the choice of walking to the DZ approximately 70/80 yards or going to the nearest point of complete relief 10 yards away.

This is the exact wording on the card: (6)On holes 8 and 13, a ball coming to rest on the roadway/tunnel area may be played as it lies or from the marked dropping zone without penalty.

My question is, could I use the NPCR or was I compelled to use the DZ?

Lou from Spain

Dear Lou,

The Local Rule seems to imply that your only two choices are to play the ball as it lies on the road or play from the Dropping Zone [DZ].

requirement  to use a DZ is unusual when it is possible to find proper relief under a Rule of Golf (Rule 16, in this case). 

I would suggest you discuss this with the course management to find out whether they truly intended to make use of the DZ compulsory.

Linda
Copyright © 2019 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.