Friday, August 25, 2017

Ask Linda #1603-Putt out of order to help your partner

Hi Linda,
My partner and I were both on the green. He was looking at a birdie putt, and I was looking at a par putt, but I was much closer to the hole than my partner. May I putt first (i.e., out of turn) to ensure a par for us, so that he could then attack the hole for a birdie?
Many thanks,
Lou from Munich, Germany

Dear Lou,

You most certainly may putt first. When it is your partner’s turn to putt, the two of you have the option to decide which of you will putt first. This Rule applies both to match play [Rule 30-3b] and stroke play [Rule 31-4]. After you putt, it will be your partner’s turn to putt, since his ball is still the furthest from the hole.

This is good strategy, and everyone should take advantage of this option in partner competitions. In addition to allowing your partner to putt aggressively for a birdie, it may also assist him in reading the green.

Linda
Copyright © 2017 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.