Friday, November 21, 2014

Ask Linda #953-Ball moves after placing

Linda, in a local tournament, I hit my ball into a steep bank at greenside, and it rolled into the water. I dropped twice, and each rolled back in, so I placed the ball at the point of the 2nd drop. It was hard to place because the bank was so steep, but I finally got it to hold. Then, I turned around to pick up my club.  When I turned back to the ball, it had rolled back into the water. Does this incur a penalty stroke?
Thanks,
Lou from California

Dear Lou,

I’m afraid I have bad news for you, Lou. When a ball comes to rest where it was placed, and it subsequently moves, you must play it as it lies [Rule 20-3d]. Since your ball rolled back into the water after it had come to rest where you placed it outside the hazard, your ball is now in the water hazard. If you are unable to play it as it lies in the hazard, you most choose one of the relief options in Rule 26-1, all of which include a one-stroke penalty.

Linda
Copyright © 2014 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.