Thursday, June 5, 2014

Ask Linda #858-Time limit on practice between holes


Hi Linda,

I've been playing recreationally for many years. Having just recently begun taking the game more seriously, I have been furiously reading all the previous rules questions and your responses, which are very much appreciated.

I thought this would be a good opportunity to ask a question which I've been pondering. My short game is in need of the most work as well as getting to know the greens on the home course of the club I just joined. It is very hot here in the summer with scant players on the course. If there is no one delayed by my practicing chipping to and putting on the green of the hole just completed, is there any time limit for which I may do so? I want to the round to be official and postable for handicap purposes while improving my short game at the same time, and am thinking the answer is no. However, your opinion on any applicable time limit would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Lou from Phoenix, Arizona

Dear Lou,

There is no official time limit for practicing putting and chipping on or near the putting green of the hole you just played or the teeing ground of the next hole. The Rules only prohibit you from practicing from a hazard or from delaying play [Rule 7-2].

Golf course management may be unhappy if you spend a considerable amount of time chipping onto a green. Don’t be surprised if a ranger shows up and asks you to move along. The best place to practice your chipping is on a green designated for practice, where additional damage will not be a concern.

Linda
Copyright © 2014 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.