Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Ask Linda #857-Ready golf


First, a thank you for helping me as I continue to learn the Rules of Golf !

We recently played in a member/guest tournament at a local golf club. The format the second day was a modified Chapman. As we were ready to tee off on the first hole I asked if we should play “ready golf.” A competitor immediately said that I was subject to a one-stroke penalty for asking the question. She stated that “ready golf” was not an accepted term of the USGA and by asking the question I was in violation of the rules of golf. So, I am asking you if this is correct. Looking forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
Lulu from Arizona

Dear Lulu,

I am (almost) speechless. This may be the most ridiculous assertion I have ever read. Did you happen to ask this “golfer” (I feel compelled to use quotation marks) exactly which rule you were violating?

There is no penalty for playing out of turn in both match play and stroke play. If your Chapman was match play, your opponent may recall your stroke if you play out of turn [Rule 10-1c]. If it was stroke play, there is no penalty unless competitors agree to play out of turn to give one of them an advantage [Rule 10-2c].

Playing “ready golf” is one way to improve pace of play. The USGA is presently making a special effort to encourage golfers to play at a faster pace. It is not an “unacceptable term;” it is a recommended way to play.

The only questions that will cause you to incur a penalty are those in which you ask for advice. My “advice” for this competitor is to study the rule book and stop making up rules.

Linda
Copyright © 2014 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.