Friday, December 28, 2012

Ask Linda #581-Place an alignment mark


Dear Linda,
I'm trying to stop hitting my fairway shots fat and I would like to have an aim mark in front of the ball. Of course, I want to stay within the boundary of the rules but I have no objection to leaning up against them. Please point out (in the rule book) what I would be leaning against.
Thanks,
Lou

Dear Lou,

If you place a mark in front of the ball to assist you in lining up your shot, and you do not remove that mark before you hit, you are in breach of Rule 8-2. The penalty is two strokes (loss of hole in match play).

Try to find a natural mark that is already in place, such as a leaf, a twig, a distant tree, etc. You are always entitled to free alignment assistance from Mother Nature.

Linda
Copyright © 2012 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.