Friday, December 15, 2017

Ask Linda #1665-Ball embedded in green cannot be replaced

Linda,
Recently on my tee shot to a par three the ball plugged into a sloped area of the green. After marking the ball and repairing the mark, I tried to replace the ball to attempt my putt. The ball would not stay in the original position. What are my options? Do I allow the ball to roll and play it from its new position? Also, there would be no position not closer to the pin on the putting surface.
Thank you for your blog and your help on this ruling.
Lou from Bernville, Pennsylvania

Dear Lou,

After your failed second attempt to replace the ball on the putting green in front of your marker, you must place it at the nearest spot that is no closer to the hole and is not in a hazard where the ball will remain at rest [Rule 20-3d (i)]. If the spot that meets these requirements is not on the green, you will be placing your ball off the green.

Linda
Copyright © 2017 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.