Thursday, December 7, 2017

Ask Linda #1659-Leaf on ball

Hi Linda,
When I arrived at my ball there was a leaf lying on top of it. I wanted to remove it by waving. My opponent objected because it was “adhering to the ball” and I couldn't take any action that would remove the leaf. So now we wonder when is a loose impediment adhering to the ball and what can we do within the rules? I know I can wave to move an ant from my ball. Why not a leaf?
Thanks,
Lou from Belgium

Dear Lou,

I believe your opponent may not understand what is meant by “adhering.” In golf, if something “adheres” to the ball, it sticks to it. For example, when your ball lands in a muddy area, some of the mud might stick to the ball. If you are not playing preferred lies, you will have to hit the ball with the mud stuck to it. Dung is another material that often adheres to the ball.

Unless the leaf is muddy, there is little chance it is adhering to your ball. If you wish, you may carefully lift it off the ball. You may also try to wave it off, if you prefer. Either way, if you move the ball in the process of removing the leaf, you will incur a one-stroke penalty and you will have to replace the ball [Rule 18-2].

Linda
Copyright © 2017 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.