Monday, December 11, 2017

Ask Linda #1661-Order of play in woman vs. man match

Hi Linda,
I was playing a match today against a man, he teeing off before me, as he played from a longer tee. I was up four going into the fifth hole, which was a Par 3. He said since he was down in the match and that I had an advantage hitting second, I should be hitting first off the tee since it was my honor. 

I said I never heard of such a rule. I believe the player on the farther tee always hits first. 

I played first on the next hole but said I would not again.  It really slows up play, and I never heard of such a way to play a match. 

Q. Is there such a rule? What’s the proper playing order?

Thanks 
Lulu from Boca Raton, Florida

Dear Lulu,

In match play, the player who wins the hole has the honor at the next tee. This means that if you win the hole, you will tee off first on the next hole. This is explained in Rule 10-1.

There is no penalty if the wrong player tees off first. The opponent has the right to recall the shot if the player has played out of order. However, if the player agrees to allow her opponent to tee off first when he does not have the honor, she loses the right to recall his shot.

In a casual match, you might allow your male opponent to tee off first to save time, but in a serious match, order of play should be maintained. Your opponent is well within his rights to tell you to tee off first if you have the honor; you do not have the right to insist that he tee off ahead of you if the honor is not his.

Linda
Copyright © 2017 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.