Thursday, December 1, 2016

Ask Linda #1430-Relief from lateral hazard on opposite side

Good day Linda,
I'm just a little confused. This last weekend, I pulled my tee shot over a lateral hazard that runs all the way down the left-hand side of the fairway. The only option I had was to try and hit the ball back over the hazard onto the fairway. I then proceeded, much to my disgust I may add, to hit my second shot into the hazard. I wanted to drop my ball within two club-lengths on the opposite side of the hazard at a point equidistant to where my ball last crossed into the hazard, but my fellow competitors said that as I had not cleared the hazard I had to play my 4th shot from where I had last played. I was under the impression that only applied to a yellow stake hazard. Am I reading the lateral hazard rule incorrectly???
Kind regards,
Lou from Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa

Dear Lou,

No, Lou. You are not reading the Rule incorrectly. Your fellow competitors are confusing the relief options from yellow- and red-staked hazards.

When your ball is in a lateral water hazard (red-staked), one of the relief options is to drop within two club-lengths (no closer to the hole) of the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the hazard, or from a point on the opposite side of the hazard that is equidistant from the hole [Rule 26-1c].

Linda
Copyright © 2016 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.