Saturday, January 3, 2015

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Dear readers,

Happy New Year! With the end of 2014 comes the realization that I have been writing “Ask Linda” columns for a full seven years. Not so surprisingly (given the complexity of the Rules), I received so many questions during 2014 that I have well over 200 questions and answers waiting patiently to post during 2015. In fact, as of this writing, I have columns scheduled to post through the middle of December, which brings me to the reason I am writing to you now.

The Rules of Golf and the Decisions are revised every four years. Your current rulebook will expire at the end of 2015. I am not comfortable scheduling columns to post in 2016, since the answers I write may be incorrect based on whatever changes are made at the next revision. I do not want to stop answering your questions; nor do I wish to publish answers that don’t conform to the 2016 changes.

Here is what I propose to do:
• Answer all the questions you send me in 2015 personally. These e-mailed answers may not be as detailed as my columns, and I might simply send you a copy of the pertinent Rule or Decision.
• Save our correspondence in a file. Depending on how many questions I receive in 2016, post some or all of your 2015 questions on the blog in 2016 after studying the changes to the Rules and Decisions.
• Continue posting answers to follow-up questions or important corrections to the 2015 columns during 2015.

I’m looking forward to hearing from you throughout the year as you run into confusing situations on the golf course.

Regards,
Linda