Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Ask Linda #904-Touch long grass in hazard

Linda,

Every time I have the chance to play my ball from the border of a water hazard I have the same doubt.

I know I can't ground my club but sometimes there is some long grass not at the level of the ground. May I touch it with my club when I take the stance?

Thanks for your help.
Lou from Argentina

Dear Lou,

Yes. You may touch long grass in a hazard provided you do not touch the ground and you do not improve the line of play or the area of your intended swing [Decision 13-4/4]. You may even take a practice swing that touches the long grass. However, if the practice swing flattens or cuts the grass, you will incur a penalty (two strokes/loss of hole) for improving the area of your intended swing.

Linda
Copyright © 2014 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.