Friday, August 8, 2014

Ask Linda #894-Stand behind player putting

Dear Linda,

I often show up as a single and match up with others at my course. On occasion, I will play in a formal stroke or match play competition. I find that once in a while players stand directly behind me while I am putting. Some stand very close and jiggle around while I stand over a putt. I generally ask them to move in a polite manner, but I find that some players believe that it is their right to stand behind me to "get a read" and refuse to move. I usually lose my concentration at that point and miss the putt (my weakness) when this happens.

What course of action would you suggest? I do not want to make anyone uncomfortable, but it is quite bothersome to me.

Thanks for your help.
Lou in New Mexico

Dear Lou,

It is a breach of etiquette to stand behind the ball (to the right of a right-handed golfer) when a player is about to hit [Section I of your rulebook]. Since players are always supposed to show consideration for one another (also an etiquette issue), a polite request to move should be all that is necessary.

Rather than confronting the player with the etiquette issue, I would like to think that a simple statement such as: “Please don’t stand behind me while I am putting; it distracts me (disturbs my concentration)” would suffice. If it does not, repeat your request and do not putt until he moves. Peer pressure from other players in your pairing who would like to get on with their game will probably get the inconsiderate player to move. A persistent ignoramus may necessitate a call for a rules’ official or a Committee member.

I have often encountered players who stand where they shouldn’t; I have never run into one who would not move when asked. That would be downright rude in any setting.

Linda
Copyright © 2014 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.