Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Ask Linda #514-Clubs overhanging bunker


Hi Linda,

At golf today we had a situation…

I approached a bunker with 2 clubs, a putter, plus a towel. I collected the sand rake and dropped it nearby for use after my shot. I dropped the towel on the grass & lay my 2 clubs I wasn't using on top but slightly hanging into the bunker. I played my shot, raked the sand, & retrieved my clubs & finished the hole in correct order.
Another player (not my marker) said she thought that was a penalty & to put a mark on my card with “6?”
My marker said she didn't see anything, said she was the marker and left the score as a 5. What is the correct ruling?
We were playing Stroke play.

Thanks ...BTW I think your blog is fabulous.
REGARDS, LULU from New Zealand

Dear Lulu,

A player is permitted to place her clubs in the bunker. This does not constitute testing the condition of the hazard [Decision 13-4/0.5]. Indeed, you may place your entire bag in the hazard if you wish. During the winter, when I prefer to carry my bag, I will bring it into a bunker with me if I plan to exit at another spot.

So the answer to your first question is “no.” There is no penalty for placing your clubs in the bunker, or for placing them outside the bunker overhanging the edge and touching the sand.

Any player who witnesses what may be a Rules violation is obligated to report it. All questions regarding the Rules should be resolved by the Committee at the end of your round, before you sign your scorecard. Your marker should record a 5, followed by a question mark or other notation that will remind both of you to ask the Committee for a ruling on the possible violation.

Linda
Copyright © 2012 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.