Friday, August 3, 2012

Ask Linda #500-Removing loose impediments on line of putt


Linda, I know we cannot touch the line of our putt with our hands. We are not allowed to touch the surface of the green with our finger if pointing out the line to our partner. We are not allowed to brush a leaf or sand away from our line of putt with our bare hand.
Can I pick up a leaf or a pebble that is on my line even though my fingers... Egad... touch my line of putt? Must I always use my towel or hat?
Lou

Dear Lou,

Who told you that you can’t brush a leaf or sand off your line of putt with your hand? As long as you don’t press anything down, you are permitted to remove loose impediments with whatever tool seems appropriate – hat, towel, or hand [Rule 16-1a (i)].

Linda
Copyright © 2012 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.