Friday, July 25, 2014

Ask Linda #886-Post score after DQ         

Hi Linda,
Love your informative blog. I played in a match at my club today. I did not know the rule that it is a one-stroke penalty for taking relief from a tree root and consequently the score of 70 that I turned in should have been a 71. My question is, I was DQ’d for signing an incorrect score card. Do I post the corrected 71 with GHIN or is my score null and void and unpostable?
Sincerely,
Lulu from Florida

Dear Lulu,

Post the score, Lulu, but it will be 72, not 71. Since you did not declare your ball unplayable, you incurred a two-stroke penalty for a breach of Rule 18-2a.

When a player has been disqualified from a tournament, but has an acceptable score, the score must be posted. Don’t forget to apply Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) to your score [The USGA Handicap System, Section 5-1].

This answer is intended for players living in countries governed by the USGA Handicap System.

Linda
Copyright © 2014 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.