Friday, May 23, 2014

Ask Linda #850-Break twig outside hazard, ball in hazard


Dear Linda,
In a recent game my ball came to rest in a playable spot inside a lateral water hazard. The red stakes on our course are deemed moveable so I proceeded to remove one that would have interfered with my swing. In doing so I broke a twig on a tree whose branches were overhanging the whole area. The branch from where the twig broke was not inside the hazard, although other branches from the same tree do overhang the hazard. Breaking the twig did not improve the area of my intended swing, although other parts of the same tree did interfere with my swing.

My questions are:

1. Is there a penalty for breaking the twig?
2. Would the penalty situation be any different had that twig been in the hazard?
3. Had the twig I broke actually been interfering with my swing, I presume there is a penalty for improving the intended path of my swing whether that’s with a practice swing or other accidental act?
4. Does #3 change if the twig is inside or outside the hazard?

Sorry about all the questions but this one has me stumped (bad pun I know)!!
Lou from Ireland

Dear Lou,

A player is not permitted to break anything growing that will improve his lie, the area of his intended stance or swing, or his line of play [Rule 13-2]. Judging from your narrative, you did not break this Rule. The answers to your questions, therefore, are:

1. No
2. No
3. Yes
4. No

Linda
Copyright © 2014 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.