Thursday, May 22, 2014

Ask Linda #849-Relief from immovable hazard stake


Hi Linda,

On a par 4 with a ditch (marked as a lateral water hazard) that runs along the left side of the fairway, I hit my tee shot and it landed a few inches outside the hazard margin. I then took my 7-iron and prepare to hit my second shot. My stance unfortunately is within the hazard. Also, hazard stakes are made of a concrete post (also serve as a protective barrier for the golf carts) and declared as an immovable obstruction and interfere with my area of intended swing.

I called a marshal for a ruling. He said that I can get relief, without penalty, since the stake is an immovable obstruction and my ball lay through the green. My flight mate disagreed and said that there is no relief from an immovable obstruction in a hazard and either I play the ball where it lies or declare it unplayable. I tend to agree with the marshal’s ruling, but really, I’m not sure myself.

I end up following the marshal’s ruling but want to know what you and the book says.

Thank you and more power!
Lou from the Philippines

Dear Lou,

The marshal’s ruling was correct, Lou. I addressed a similar question in July of last year. Here is the section of that column that answers your question:

If a player’s ball does not lie in a hazard, he is entitled to free relief from an immovable water hazard stake under Rule 24-2b. However, if his ball lies in the hazard, there is no free relief [Rule 24-2, Note 1]. A player whose ball lies in a hazard who is unable to hit the ball due to interference from an immovable hazard stake must take relief under Rule 26-1 (Relief for Ball in Water Hazard). All of the relief options in 26-1 include a one-stroke penalty

Be aware that Committees are permitted to label all water hazard stakes as “immovable obstructions” [Definition of Obstruction, Note). In that case, players would be prohibited from removing any water hazard stake on the course. Players outside the hazard would be entitled to drop away from the stakes; players inside the hazard would have no free relief option.

Linda
Copyright © 2014 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.