Friday, June 14, 2013

Ask Linda #674-Tossed ball lost in lake


Linda, here is something that happened to me,
I was playing in a tournament that had caddies. I was on a par Three, I hit the green, I marked the ball and tossed the ball to my caddie, he missed the ball and it dropped in the lake, unable to be found. My playing partners stated it was a one-stroke penalty and go back to the tee box. I felt that it was a one-stroke penalty and play the ball where it was marked. I lost the ruling and went back to the tee box.
What is the ruling?
Thank you,
Lou from Florida

Dear Lou,

The penalty is two strokes (loss of hole in match play) under Rule 15-2 for substituting a ball when not permitted. You would complete the hole with the substituted ball, placing it on the green in front of your marker. Total your score for the hole and add the two-stroke penalty [Decision 15-2/1].

Linda
Copyright © 2013 Linda Miller. All rights reserved