Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Ask Linda #595-Must I search for the ball?


Linda,

This is very similar to Ask Linda #518 but the difference is causing much debate in my golf club, Borth and Ynyslas in west Wales.

The situation was that I was playing a Par 3. My first shot went into the jungle. I took a provisional, which landed 5 feet from the flag.

I knew we had virtually zero chance of finding the first ball and clearly the better option was to play the second. I said: "I declare the first ball lost and I'll play the second."

My friends said I couldn't do that but we agreed to play on and argue about it in the club. Two weeks on the debate continues:

1. Who was right?
2. Could I be accused of ungentlemanly conduct even if technically I was in the right?
3. Can my opponents insist on looking for the ball even if I say I don't want to?

Thanks for your help,
Lou from Wales

Dear Lou,

A player may not “declare” his ball lost. In your scenario, the ball is not officially “lost” until you hit the provisional a second time, since the provisional is beyond the area where your original is likely to be [Definition of Lost Ball].

You are not required to search for your original ball. However, if another golfer finds your ball before five minutes have elapsed and before you putt your provisional, you must abandon your provisional and continue play with the original.

There is nothing “ungentlemanly” about deciding not to search for your original ball; nor would it be “ungentlemanly” if your opponents embarked on a search. Both are options under the Rules.

You may not insist that your opponents not search for the ball. If this were match play (which would seem to be indicated by your use of the term “opponents”), it would be to their advantage to find the ball. This would be the time to pull out your watch and make sure they stop their search once five minutes have elapsed. You could also hustle to your ball and putt it. If you putt your provisional before your opponents find your original, your original is then officially lost. There is no penalty for putting out of turn in match play, so the worst that can happen is your opponent could require you to replay the shot in the proper order.

Linda
Copyright © 2013 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.