Thursday, December 22, 2011

Ask Linda #391-Hit provisional, find original


Dear Linda,

I wasn’t sure if I would find my tee shot, so I hit a provisional ball. When I got to the area I thought my ball was, I searched for three minutes and did not find the ball. I then hit the provisional. Right after, I walked forward about ten steps and found my original ball. Was I allowed to hit the original?

Thanks,
Lulu

Dear Lulu,

No. You are permitted to play a provisional ball until you reach the area where you will begin searching for your original ball. You reached that area, began your search, and did not find your original. As soon as you hit the provisional again from that area, it becomes your ball in play [Rule 27-2b]. Your original is now “lost” [Definition of Lost Ball].

Linda 
Copyright © 2011 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.