Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Ask Linda #388b-Music, music, music

Dear readers,

I am surprised by the animated responses I have received in reaction to the issue of listening to music while playing golf. I will not comment on the somewhat whimsical nature of this rule–I feel it is my place to explain the rules, not question their logic. However, I enjoyed the letters printed below, and thought I would share them with you.

Happy holidays to everyone! May you all enjoy this fascinating and challenging game in 2012 and for many years to come.

Linda


Dear Linda,

Happy Holidays!

I would like to ask the many persons who oppose the use of iPods and music listening as a relaxing/concentration/enjoyment tool the following question:

DO we need to come up with a rule that would forbid drinking a beer if the reason is to relax, focus and thus aid you in making a stroke and if it is for your added enjoyment of the game then it is okay…???????
I know Rule 14 refers to electronic/artificial devices but shouldn’t “artificial” include beer, Xanax before/during a round… The reason and effect are the same.

There is so much rude behavior on the course like not raking bunkers, cussing, riding on carts so close to greens, smoking cigarettes and tobacco and leaving the butts or remains on the green, and we worry about such a small little tiny gadget.......

There is a New Decision on this topic. As I understand it, if you have the right answer, (“just because I like it!”  …ridiculous) you will be allowed to listen to music but not while making a stroke or for an extended period of time. Please comment and forward to other readers…

Lulu in Puerto Rico


Hi Linda,

Congratulations once again on your answers–  Fantastic.

As for rules - for and against - I have always worked on the assumption that if it is not in the rules book, then it is legal!

Nowhere in the rules does it say that it is illegal to listen to music.
People can say (or imagine) whatever, can and will interpret the rules many different ways, but are these people splitting straws because they are not happy within themselves or just being bloody-minded and vindictive?

As for it being dangerous, my goodness!!!  What game is not dangerous? Even playing cards can be dangerous. If you cheat, someone might shoot you. Being hit by a bullet would hurt a lot more than a golf ball.

Nit-picking people should take a look at themselves and perhaps take up another profession (or hobby) and become comedians and forget about
the dangers of listening to music wherever they may be.

I just love taking the mickey out of people like this.

This time of the year is a time of Joy, Happiness and Goodwill, so have a VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS and I send you all the best for the New Year from the sunny south.

Our traditional Xmas in New Zealand is swimming, fishing, sailing and indulging in outdoor activities and playing a round of golf wearing our lightest summer clothes.

Kindest regards from New Zealand,
Lou