Monday, November 12, 2018

Out with the old, in with the new


Dear readers,

This feels like the right time to stop answering questions about the 2018 Rules of Golf and start in earnest to study the new Rules for 2019. Accordingly, my last column for 2018 will appear on Friday, November 16. I will not resume answering questions until late January. Here’s why:

I will attend a one-day USGA Rules seminar on November 17. This will be a general overview of the new Rules for 2019, and will help jumpstart my preparation for the four-day Rules of Golf seminar that I will attend at the USGA Golf House in Far Hills, New Jersey from January 11 – 14.

By late January I will have had sufficient time to review my notes from the seminar and will be about as prepared as I can get to answer your questions. I will let you know when my blog reopens for business.

In the meantime, I would ask that each of you acquire and read a 2019 rulebook (tomorrow’s column will explain how to order a free one). We cannot have a meaningful discussion of the new Rules if you have no familiarity with them. Pay particular attention to the Definitions in the back of the book – the Rules are much easier to understand if you have a working knowledge of the Definitions. I plan to send you links to diagrams, videos, and explanations of the most significant changes. I will try to throw in a few Rules Nuggets from time to time. But please, no questions until further notice. 

Regards,
Linda