Friday, September 18, 2015

Ask Linda #1152-Follow through hits umbrella

Hello Linda,

Today I had a good shot with my No. 5 wood down the fairway, but on the follow through, as the wood came back to my LH shoulder, it caught the edge of my umbrella on my golf buggy, which was behind me. It did not interfere with the actual shot, nor did the ball come in contact with my buggy or equipment – it was the head of my wood on the follow through that hit the umbrella. Could you please advise what penalty applies?

Kind regards,
Lou from West Perth Australia

Dear Lou,

There is no penalty if your golf club contacts your equipment on the follow through of your swing. What advantage could you possibly gain?

There is, of course, a penalty if you hit your golf ball and the ball contacts your own equipment – one stroke and play the ball as it lies [Rule 19-2].

Linda
Copyright © 2015 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.