Thursday, October 11, 2012

Ask Linda #538-Knock ball away from hole


Linda, I was recently the victim of too much casual golf. I was playing in a tournament and my putt stopped inches from the hole. As I often do during casual play, I tapped the ball away from the hole. Before picking it up, I realized I had not holed out.
Do I count the tap as a stroke, then putt the ball from its new location?
What if I had picked up the ball?
Thank you
Lou

Dear Lou,

When you tapped the ball away from the hole, you touched your ball on purpose and caused it to move. Replace your ball, putt it, and add one penalty stroke to your score [Rule 18-2a]. This tap is not considered a stroke [Decision 18-2a/23].

If you had lifted your ball, the procedure and penalty would be the same – replace the ball and count one penalty stroke [Rule 18-2a].

Linda
Copyright © 2012 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.