Monday, October 1, 2012

Ask Linda #532-Is “lost” ball in hazard?


Hi Linda,

I am fairly new to this fantastic game and had been having driving lessons to great effect.

I was playing at Halifax GC in Yorkshire and on one of the holes the tee was behind some derelict farm buildings. I hit a sweet straight drive but because of the obstructing farm buildings I didn't see the ball land.

About 270 yards down the fairway was an open ditch (a staked hazard). This was a large deep ditch with heather and long grass. After spending 5 minutes looking for my ball on and around the fringes of the fairway I concluded that the only place the ball could be was in the hazard. However my playing partners told me, because nobody had seen the ball enter the hazard I would have to go back and play 3 off the tee.

I begrudgingly accepted this but didn't continue playing the hole as we were playing Stableford scoring. I thought this was unfair. What do you think?

Also, one of my playing partners told me if I was playing a provisional ball I was not allowed a practice swing. Is this right?

Many thanks.
Lou

Dear Lou,

The Water Hazard Rule states that you must have knowledge or virtual certainty that your ball is in a hazard in order to proceed under one of the relief options in Rule 26-1. Let’s see how this might apply to your situation.

“Knowledge” does not apply in your case, since no one saw the ball enter the hazard. However, “virtual certainty” may apply. Assuming everyone in your group agrees that your drive was hit straight down the fairway and far enough to reach the hazard, you must consider the course conditions in front of the hazard. If the entire area adjacent to the hazard boundary is closely mowed so that a ball that is not found short of the hazard can be presumed to be in the hazard, you are permitted to assume that the ball is in the hazard [Decision 26-1/1].

However, if the area adjacent to the hazard boundary consists of rough, fescue, tall grasses, nearby bushes, or other trouble such that a ball that cannot be found may be lost in this pre-hazard area, you may not assume the ball to be in the hazard. After the five-minute time limit is reached, you must play another ball under stroke and distance (return to where you hit your previous shot and add a one-stroke penalty to your score).

The answer to your second question is that your playing partner is incorrect. You may take a practice swing (or more than one) before or after any stroke you make on the golf course [Note 1 at the end of Rule 7]. If you have just hit an errant shot, you will more than likely want to rehearse the shot before you try it again with your provisional ball. Go right ahead and take that practice swing.

Linda
Copyright © 2012 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.