Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Ask Linda #467-Relief from dirt adjacent to cart path

Hello Linda:

My ball came to rest just off the left side of an asphalt cart path in the dirt portion (that had been dug out by people driving off the asphalt path).  Is my ball considered to be on the cart path?  Do I get relief?

My match play opponent gave me relief, but I want to know what the correct ruling would be.

Thanks for your time and help.
Lou Lou.

Dear Lou Lou,

The cart path is a man-made surface that meets the definition of immovable obstruction. The dirt alongside the cart path where the grass has been worn away by cart traffic is neither artificial nor an obstruction. Unless the actual cart path interferes with your stance or the area of your intended swing, you are not entitled to relief when your ball lies on the dirt. The penalty in stroke play would be two strokes.

Match play takes a different view. You did not proceed incorrectly in your match. You and your opponent did not agree to waive a Rule, since neither of you were aware that you were not entitled to relief. If the discussion between the two of you had gone something like this: “I don’t think I’m entitled to relief from the dirt.” “I don’t think so either, but it’s OK with me if you move your ball,” then there would have been agreement to waive a Rule and you would both be disqualified [Rule 1-3].  Since neither of you was aware of the Rule, and your opponent gallantly allowed you to take relief, your procedure was correct.

You may be interested to learn that, in match play, if a player notices his opponent violating a Rule, he may quietly choose to ignore that violation.

Linda
Copyright © 2012 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.