Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Ask Linda #462-Player objects to ball marker

Dear Linda,

I was recently in a club golf tournament and one of the ladies questioned my ball marker. I used a magnetic one that clips onto the hat and it has a smooth face. She requested that I use a flat push-pin marker. I offered to move my marker one club head but she wanted me to use a flat one instead. I borrowed a flat one from another lady. Does she have the right to make this request?

Thank you!

Lulu from Southern California

Dear Lulu,

The Rules suggest that a ball be marked by a ball marker, a small coin, or something similar. You may also mark a ball with the toe of your club, a tee, or a loose impediment, although these methods are not recommended [Decision 30-1/16].

You used an acceptable marker. If another player finds your marker distracting, she may ask that you move it one or more club-lengths to the side, and you are obliged to honor that request.

There is no Rule that prohibits another player from asking you to use a different marker; nor is there a Rule that requires you to honor such a strange request.

Linda
Copyright © 2012 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.