Sunday, May 13, 2012

Ask Linda #460a-Hitting ball on cart path


Linda,

Do you feel that hitting it off the cart path is really an option for a weekend amateur golfer?  Have you ever hit a ball off of the cart path?

For a professional golfer with a club manufacturer sponsor, sure, go ahead and play it off of the path.  But for someone like me, I am not going scratch up my club that is part of an iron set that cost me $600+ ... it is just not a reasonable option.

Your thoughts?
Lou from New Jersey

Lou, I have hit off the cart path on several occasions, both in tournaments and in casual play. If the cart path is preferable to the relief option, I am willing to choose the cart path. 

If you're worried about your clubs, I have two suggestions (assuming you prefer to play under the Rules):

1. Hit the ball off the cart path with your putter.
2. Declare your ball unplayable, and proceed under one of the relief options for an unplayable ball (Rule 28). This will add one penalty stroke to your score.

Linda
Copyright © 2012 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.