Friday, August 26, 2011

Ask Linda #341-Failure to replace marker on green


Dear Linda,
Would you explain the final score for a player who has reached the green in four, marked his ball, then re-marked and moved his ball to wait for another player to putt, and then failed to replace his ball before putting one stroke to hole out? Is this a two-stroke penalty and the final score for that hole is 7?
Thanks for your terrific blog. I learn something every time.
Lulu

Dear Lulu,

Your calculations are correct. When you are asked to move your marker on the green because it is on another player’s line of putt, you must move it back before you replace and then putt your own ball. If you do not move it back, the penalty is two strokes (loss of hole in match play).

Both the player who moved the ball and the player who asked to have it moved, as well as any other players in the group, should be alert to the situation and remind the player to replace his ball before putting. Common courtesy and good golf etiquette dictate that players help each other avoid penalties whenever possible.

Here is the trick I use to avoid this costly penalty: When I am asked to move my marker, I turn it upside down. The different look helps to remind me that I have to move it back before putting.

Linda  
Copyright © 2011 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.