Friday, October 22, 2010

Ask Linda #249a-Wrong decisions by the Committee

Thank you for the reply [Ask Linda #249]. I will let the folks who run these events know they indeed ruled incorrectly. The stroke the player was assessed didn't keep him from winning...he still finished a couple of strokes back. However, I would expect folks who run these events to have better insight into the rules and decisions on the rules of golf. I don't know what he looked at to make his decision, but he didn't read the same rules I read...or the rules you've cited here.

Thank you again...Lou Lou.

Lou, interpreting the rules correctly requires an inordinate amount of study and a certain amount of intellectual modesty. While every person running a tournament may not have the time or interest to devote himself to a thorough understanding of the Rules and the Decisions on the Rules, such people need to admit that their knowledge is limited, toss their ego aside, and consult a rules official at the USGA when a difficult or unusual situation arises. That requires a degree of humility and honesty that not everyone has.

On a number of occasions through the years I have encountered golf professionals who are adamant about the correctness of a ruling that I knew for certain was entirely mistaken. I would resolve the problem immediately by calling a USGA official and letting the golf pro hear the answer straight from the horse’s mouth.

When I receive a question from a reader that has a clear answer in the Rules of Golf or in the Decisions book, I cite them as my references and answer the question myself. However, when some questions are not so easily verified, I form an opinion and check directly with the USGA to make sure I am not giving out wrong advice.

Golf professionals and Committee members should do the same. If there are differing or uncertain opinions on how to resolve a rules matter, and no pertinent rule or Decision can be found, then the highest authority –the USGA– should be consulted. The goal should always be to get things right.

Linda
Copyright © 2010 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.